Local cooperative holds first fire drill

National 1 minute, 53 seconds


A CAR caught fire at a petrol station because someone was using their mobile phone while an attendant filled the fuel tank.

Other customers drove away as employees rushed to rescue an attendant who had fainted after being overwhelmed by the smoke.

As a passenger in the car lay unconscious, the filling station’s employees tried to contain the fire with fire extinguishers while others tended to their injured colleague.

But there were no injuries or major damage because it was all part of a fire drill held yesterday by Koperasi Perniagaan dan Perusahan Melayu Berhad (Ko-PPMB) at its Menglait filling station.

In an interview, Ko-PPMB’s managing director, Pg Dato Paduka Hj Mustapha Pg Metasan, said the drill was held for the first time to teach their employees how to effectively perform as first responders should an accident occur.

“This drill was held to expose our staff to what they should do when there’s a fire. The station and our employees must know their roles and responsibilities should a fire break out,” he said.

He said there are a total of 18 employees to carry out the station’s daily operations and it is vital for them to be trained as first responders.

“Members of the public might panic and also our employees if they don’t know what to do. Our products are flammable, so it’s even more important to know what steps to take.”

Pg Dato Hj Mustapha said it would also help their employees handle accidents more efficiently and effectively while working with the authorities like the Fire and Rescue Department and the Royal Brunei Police Force as well as ambulances.

“We also want to see how the authorities respond. Such incidents will involve the participation of many parties, so it’s important for us to not only wait but act too.”

He said the cooperative will be conducting an assessment after the exercise.

The acting superintendent of the Berakas Fire Station, SFR Hj Mustafa Hj Mohamad, told the media that their station had deployed 25 personnel and the operation lasted over half an hour from the time they received the distress call from the filling station.

The fire was controlled about seven minutes after they arrived, he said.

The Brunei Times