First conviction under criminal assets recovery law
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN
BRUNEI has reported its first conviction under the Criminal Assets Recovery Order after a man was ordered to forfeit money that he had obtained from selling drugs.
In a statement, the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) said the Order, enacted in 2012, provides wider powers to law enforcement agencies such as NCB in the financial investigation of drug crimes.
“The Criminal Assets Recovery Order enables officials to investigate, seize, freeze, forfeit or confiscate the assets of persons involved in drug crimes,” said NCB.
Azren Zaini, had been arrested twice by NCB officers in May 2009 and July 2010 in Belait where plastic straws containing the Class A drug methylamphetamine was found on him.
In addition, he had cash in various currencies amounting to $11,110, SG$1,110 and RM3,055 that was believed to have been proceeds from selling drugs.
He was convicted on December 2014 of possessing and consuming the controlled substances under the Misuse of Drugs Act and sentenced to three years in prison.
Following the initial conviction, he was again prosecuted for the forfeiture of the money seized during the raid which NCB believed to be proceeds from the drug trade in a case that went to trial. During the trial, the defendant had maintained that the money found on him was from selling quails but the prosecution proved otherwise.
Chief Justice Dato Paduka Hj Kifrawi Dato Paduka Hj Kifli ruled on June 4 this year that the cash was tainted property resulting from selling drugs and ordered the money to be forfeited to the state.
The Brunei Times