Filipino man facing drug charge attempts to leave Brunei

National 1 minute, 34 seconds

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN

A FILIPINO man was recently arrested at the Brunei International Airport after he attempted to leave the country while facing a drug charge against him.

“I wanted to go back for my daughter’s birthday,” said Fel Olivia Nisnisan.

He also said he wanted to settle some family matters in Philippines and added that he would return to Brunei soon after. He further said he had permission to leave from his sponsors.

However, Nisnisan did not indicate whether he had informed Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) that he intended to leave the country.

Previously working in construction but now unemployed, Nisnisan and his wife worked part-time at a house where their sponsor was staying. Nisnisan said ever since he became unemployed, his children have stopped schooling.

The 43-year-old said he was suffering from depression after his employer cancelled his visa and bought a ticket to return to the Philippines. Nisnisan said his friend offered him to buy the drugs. “It was my first time taking drugs and I have stopped since,” said Nisnisan.

Nisnisan was released on NCB bail and was placed on immigration stop list. This eventually led to his arrest at the airport when he decided to leave the country.

He was arrested last year in April 7, when NCB officers detained him at a convenience store in Kg Kiulap over suspected drug-related activities.

Investigation later found that Nisnisan had tested positive for methamphetamine, a Class A drug locally known as syabu. Nisnisan has no previous drug conviction.

Nisnisan has pleaded guilty to the charge of consuming drugs and was imposed a $2,000 fine or serve two months in prison if fines are unpaid.

The charge for consuming drugs for first-time offenders carries an imprisonment term of up to 10 years and a $20,000 fine. For second or subsequent drug offences the penalty is a minimum of three years in prison.

The Brunei Times