Man pleads guilty to rape, attempted rape of daughters

National 1 minute, 55 seconds

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN

A local man pleaded guilty yesterday to raping two of his daughters and attempting to rape another daughter over a 14-year period. The defendant, whose name is being withheld to protect the victims’ identity, admitted to committing all nine offences he was accused of at the Magistrates’ Court.

He had raped the oldest of the victims, Miss X, when she was just 13 years old on four occasions between 2002 and 2003.

The defendant led Miss X to believe he was “possessed by evil spirits” to commit the acts which would make him bite the victim’s private parts.

He convinced the victim that she had to let him have sexual intercourse with her in order to ward off the evil spirits and prevent him from being aggressive toward her.

He also attempted to rape another of his daughters, Miss Y, at their family home in Tutong sometime in 2014 when she was 16 years old.

He raped the youngest of the victims, Miss Z, twice sometime last year when she was 16 years old.

On two occasions in February this year, the defendant again raped Miss X, now aged 26, with the victim still believing what her father had told her years ago.

The crimes were only brought to light last month by the boyfriend of Miss X, who immediately reported the matter to the police after being informed of the rape on Miss X by an unnamed family member of the defendant.

The subsequent police investigations and statements given by the victims’ family members then helped uncover the true extent of the crimes.

In his mitigation, the defendant pleaded for the court’s leniency and for the sentences to be served concurrently as he is unemployed and his children are still in school. He said he was remorseful over his actions and promised not to repeat them again.

He also asked to be able to see his wife and children, but the presiding Judge, Pg Masni Pg Hj Bahar, told the defendant that she will only allow him to do so if his wife and children were present.

The defendant’s family members weren’t present at court yesterday despite being informed of the court date.

The sentencing date wasn’t set as the prosecution wants to submit more documents to the court on March 22.The Brunei Times