Sick pilgrims can transfer passage grants, but needs OK of Haj Affairs Dep’t

National 0 minutes, 52 seconds


BRUNEIANS with Haj passage grants who are too ill to perform the pilgrimage may appoint someone to go on their behalf, but subject to the approval of the Haj Affairs Department.

Minister of Religious Affairs Yang Berhormat Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Paduka Seri Setia Hj Awg Badaruddin Pengarah Dato Paduka Hj Awg Othman was responding to a query from a Legislative Council (LegCo) member whether a sick person’s son can represent him.

Yang Berhormat Hj Ramli Hj Lahit cited a case where a sick father asked for the passage grant to be given to his son, so he can accompany his mother in performing the Haj.

The minister said the individual needs to refer this to the Haj Affairs Department for due consideration, because these considerations may also be based on the rulings in Islam.

YB Pehin Dato Hj Awg Badaruddin also cited a circular issued by the Prime Minister’s Office this year, which allows the passage grant to be transferred to another person upon verification of circumstances.

The Brunei Times