Report discrepancies stall KB Science College progress
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN
CONTRADICTING reports on quality and safety assurances on the Kuala Belait Science College construction site has stalled the project for more than a year following the collapse of its structure in 2014 which injured nine construction workers.
A “stop work order” had been issued to the project in 2014, putting to halt any construction progress in order to give way to assurance on the quality and safety of the design and structure before the project can be resumed.
Yesterday, the former minister of development who is now minister of education, Yang Berhormat Pehin Orang Kaya Indera Pahlawan Dato Seri Setia Hj Suyoi Hj Osman outlined some of findings released by the board of inquiry tasked to investigate the incident.
The minister was responding to a query by YB Hj Mohd Yusof Dulamin on the status of the Kuala Belait Science College construction at the Legislative Council (LegCo) meeting yesterday.
He said that the finding which was released on February 4 last year highlighted a number of concerns including the ability to meet safety and quality requirements.
This includes the need for an emphasis on safety, to which the minister said should be taken into account as a whole by contractors in designing the science school.
“The appointed project consultants had issued a declaration warrant, expressing that their commitment to ratify the building design and its structure is in line with the (internationally recognised) professional standards,” he said.
YB Pehin Dato Hj Suyoi added: “A number of third party consultants had also been appointed to review the building design and its structure. Initial findings were brought to the Ministry of Development on September 9 and September 17 last year.”
The minister, however, said that there was discrepancies in reports submitted to the ministry with reports between consultants contradicting one another.
To resolve the matter, the minister said that third party consultants have held a meeting on January 6.
“Right now, we are still looking for a consensus between the consultants and other parties involved to try and pinpoint where and what went wrong and how to correct them,” he added.
As the outcome of the meeting has yet to be released, the minister said that the “stop work order” will still be in place.
“Nevertheless, the ministry of education will try to find ways for the project, that has been carried out halfway to resume as soon as possible, looking at the need of a science school in Belait,” he said.
The minister however did not name the consultants appointed to review the construction site.
The Brunei Times had previously identified the main contactor as the LCY Development Sdn Bhd.
The Brunei Times