Drowning victim’s remains to be sent home to Indonesia today
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN
AN INDONESIAN man drowned on National Day at Tungku Beach, located around 20 kilometres from the capital.
The Royal Brunei Police Force (RBPF) confirmed the incident, which was reported Tuesday around 5.15pm. The matter is currently under investigation.
Sujiono, who like many Indonesians go by one name, was among a group of people spending time at the beach on the public holiday, an official with the Indonesian embassy said yesterday.
Speaking to The Brunei Times, Endy Ghafur Fadyl, a counselor at the embassy, confirmed that Sujiono, who would have turned 54 in October, is an Indonesian national. He said the embassy immediately took action upon receiving information about the incident.
“We’ve already contacted the family in Blitar,” said Endy, referring to Sujiono’s hometown in East Java.
He said the embassy has also met with Sujiono’s employer, who agreed to provide assistance in repatriating the body. The repatriation will be done following the completion of all procedures in the sultanate, including a post mortem at Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Hospital. The body is scheduled to be transported by air via Surabaya on Friday.
Sujiono had been working as a driver for a local construction company for more than four years.
The embassy has extended its appreciation to the relevant parties, including the RBPF, for their cooperation in handling the matter.
The Brunei Times