727 diarrhoea, vomiting cases reported this year: MoH

National 1 minute, 25 seconds

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN

DIARRHOEA and vomiting cases have increased in Brunei after more than 700 cases were reported this year, said the Ministry of Health (MoH) in a statement yesterday.

A total of 727 cases of gastroenteritis have been reported up to February 13, compared to 605 cases documented in the same period last year. Gastroenteritis, also known as infectious diarrhoea is a common condition that causes severe diarrhoea and vomiting, usually caused by bacteria or viral stomach flu.

The ministry advised the public to take precautionary measures amid the increase in gastroenteritis cases. MoH said the diseases are more common in children aged under five, adding that symptoms of gastroenteritis include sudden diarrhoea, mild fever, vomiting, stomachaches, feeling confused and sleepy.

The ministry also urged members of the public to practise good food and toilet hygiene. The public should avoid sharing towels, flannels, cutlery or utensils with people who are unwell, the ministry added.

Meanwhile, MoH also warned the public to be mindful of polio disease, following the outbreak of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV1) in Laos, as reported by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Polio is caused by an intestinal infection that spreads polio virus through contaminated food and water.

MoH said most polio cases show signs of high fever, headache, loss of appetite and sore throat. No reports of polio have been reported in Brunei since 1978, but MoH advised the public to be extra cautious, especially those who are planning to travel to affected countries. Travellers should practise good hygiene, adding that people showing signs of polio disease after returning from a trip abroad should immediately seek medical treatment.

Anyone who plans to travel to affected counties are also recommended to get their polio vaccine.

The Brunei Times