JIS holds higher education exhibition

National 2 minutes, 19 seconds

BRUNEI-MUARA

MORE than 100 Jerudong International School (JIS) Year 12 students were briefed on pursuing further education in universities from five countries.

The A-level and International Baccalaureate students and their parents were updated about application procedures to further their studies in Australia, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom and United States of America once they graduate in July 2017.

Russell Mann, dean of Higher Education & Careers at JIS, said the school wishes to see the parents actively involved in the decision making.

“We want the students to be independent, but parents literally will be the ones paying the bills and so we want them to be actively involved,” he told reporters on the sidelines of the annual Year 12 Higher Education Evening at the JIS Arts Centre last night.

“What we don’t want them (the students) to do is to actually be overwhelmed by applying everywhere and not being successful anywhere,” said Mann, adding that the school focuses on maximising each student’s potential.

From a total of 163 Year 12 students who graduated from JIS last year, 58 per cent continued their studies in the United Kingdom, while the remaining 42 per cent are studying at universities across the globe, including in Brunei.

A representative manning Universiti Brunei Darussalam’s (UBD) booth at the event hoped that JIS students will join the national varsity as it offers broad-based degree programmes.

“We welcome Year 12 students of JIS to come to study in UBD as we offer varieties of courses, since the curriculum revamp in 2009, now we run GenNEXT curriculum,” she said.

The GenNEXT programme provides students the flexibility to tailor their studies based on their individual learning styles. It was designed to enhance graduate employability.

One of the JIS students, Esther Sue, said she attended the talks held by the Australian representatives to get details on the course that she planned to pursue.

“I think the event is really good because there are so many choices of universities and they provide a lot of details about the course that I want to do,” she said.

Esther, who is interested in studying law, said she wanted to pursue higher education either in the United Kingdom or Australia, where her siblings are already there to study.

Speaking on the sidelines of the event, US Ambassador to Brunei Craig Allen said the number of Bruneians studying in America is increasing every year. Currently, more than 120 Bruneian students are pursuing their studies in US varsities.

“We are going to see more Bruneian students learn about the US. The more they come back with positive experiences, the more it will be acceptable,” Allen said.

“We welcome the opportunity to work together in Brunei’s areas of interest, be it biotechnology, rainforest, environment, energy or electronics. Deepening academic ties is one of my highest priorities,” he added.

The Brunei Times