Donations pour in for Belait fire victims

National 1 minute, 49 seconds

BELAIT

ASSISTANCE continued to pour in for a family of seven who lost their home to a fire last month in Sg Teraban, with Brunei Shell Petroleum (BSP) and Persatuan Kereta Tahan Lasak Brunei (PKTLB) the latest to extend help.

Amirrudin Ahmad, who lived most of his life and raised his five children at the house, said government and private organisations came to his family’s aid with daily necessities and financial donations.

“It (losing the house) was a painful loss for my family, but we have to move on. The assistance and support from organisations have definitely helped, especially in this time of need,” said the 44-year-old.

BSP’s Maintenance and Integrity Department on Thursday teamed up with PKTLB to donate clothes and food.

“We also organised an internal collection for the family to offer some financial assistance as well,” said Chua Kheng Taat from BSP.

Chua said his team has specifically measured the five children’s clothing and shoe sizes to make sure they had the right fit.

“It’s our way of giving back to the community we operate in and continue our charity programme which we organised during Ramadhan where we reached out to rural areas in Belait,” he said.

Amirrudin, who recently underwent thigh surgery, said he was still contemplating rebuilding his house, which was built in 1963 by his grandparents.

“We’re not able to do rebuilding at the moment because of financial constraints. But if things improve, we will try,” he said, adding that his family is currently staying at his in-laws’ place in Sg Teraban.

“Right now, the focus is for my children, for them to be able to continue studying at Sg Teraban Primary School, as some are sitting for the Primary School Assessment this year.”

Other organisations who have reached out to the family include the Belait District Office, Ministry of Education and Persatuan Kemajuan Insan .

According to the Fire and Rescue Department, the fire which destroyed most of the house on the evening of August 14 originated from an overheated socket located in a small garage a few metres in front of the house. The fire is estimated to have caused $90,000 worth of damage.

The Brunei Times