DES can meet Mukim Labi’s power needs

National 2 minutes, 29 seconds


THE Department of Electrical Services (DES) Belait has the infrastructure, equipment and expertise to supply electricity anywhere in Labi, according to its district engineer.

Asrin Hj Md Salleh told The Brunei Times yesterday that supplying electricity to a small remaining minority of residents without power in Labi wasn’t an issue provided applicants filled in the approval for supply connection form and submitted the documentation required.

“Applicants first need to enlist a certified electrical contractor who will do the necessary wiring for the house which will receive the electricity supplied by DES,” he said.

The electrical contractor must provide a single line diagram which maps out the power system of the location as well as the building's floor plan to the applicant to be forwarded to DES.

After receiving these, DES will issue a form titled ‘Approval for electricity supply’.

In this, the electrical contractor will have to provide a copy of their license as well as details of staff involved in installing the wiring.

“Those not sure about what contractors are certified and need help can visit us in DES Kuala Belait, call us at 3340020 or the Darussalam 123 hotline or visit our website,” said DES Belait officer Zaliha Hj Mohadi.

Property and land requirements that have to be met include a copy of the land title and a copy of the letter approving house construction issued by the relevant authority, which can differ depending on the location, size and date of the house's construction.

Asrin Hj Md Salleh said one of the main reasons why some homeowners may not have the approval letter for construction in rural areas is because they built their houses many years ago by themselves before reaching out to the authorities.

“DES can help the residents in inner, rural areas who do not have this letter by relaying their request for the letter to the relevant authorities such as the Town and Country Planning Department, the Authority for Building Control and Construction Industry and the Land Office,” he said.

After the approval form is complete, DES and the electrical contractor must carry out safety tests before electricity supply is connected upon the district engineer's approval.

Homeowners will have to pay three one-off fees: for the prepaid meter, its installation and for electricity supply to be connected.

The meter and supply connection fees are paid to DES while the installation is charged by a contractor or vendor.

“Generally, there are two options for power: a single phase or three phase,” he said.

The meter for the three phase, which has three wire alternating current power circuits designed for high capacity installations, costs $350, while a single phase is $120.

“The homeowner can consult with DES and their wiring contractor to find out what their power needs would be and then they can pick the best fit for their home,” said Asrin.

“We are here to help them throughout the process, fitting our goal of continuously improving electric supply and operation services.”

The Brunei Times