High Court orders Belait slasher to Jerudong Prison

National 1 minute, 39 seconds


THE High Court yesterday ordered a man charged with causing hurt to a toddler with a knife to be confined at Jerudong Prison after prosecution, stating that the 26-year-old is a risk to himself and others.

Defendant Ahmad Nazilah Yusof, 26, was facing the charge of causing hurt to a toddler by cutting his neck with a knife on June 9 at the vicinity of Dewan Kg Pandan in Kuala Belait.

During the proceedings before chief magistrate Muhammed Faisal PDJLD DSP Hj Kefli yesterday, the prosecution told the court about the doctor’s recommendation that Ahmad Nazilah is not fit to enter plea or stand for trial and sought for the case to be remitted to the High Court for further application.

At the High Court, presiding judge Justice Dato Paduka Steven Chong granted the prosecution application for an order under the Criminal Procedure Code to have the defendant confined at Jerudong Prison and the matter to be reported to the Permanent Secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office.

The defendant was arrested after his father surrendered him to the police on the evening of June 9, after an incident at Dewan Kg Pandan which left three people injured.

Prior to the incident, the defendant’s father brought the accused to the Suri Seri Begawan Hospital after he observed his son talking to himself and knocking on their neighbours’ door.

However, during the visit to the hospital, the defendant never got to see a medical officer and an appointment was made for June 25.

After the arrest, Ahmad Nazliah was brought to court and charged with causing hurt with a weapon.

The prosecution indicated that the police were not able to get a statement from the defendant as he was incoherent and applied for a psychiatric evaluation on the defendant.

Meanwhile, prosecution said that the toddler has been discharged from the hospital following an emergency surgery. The two others who were also hurt during the incident have also been discharged.

The Brunei Times