Dead suspect to get inquest
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN
AN INQUEST into the death of the Kuala Belait murder suspect will be held once the investigation into the case is completed, said prosecution yesterday.
Prosecuting officer Shamshuddin Hj Kamaluddin told the court that Muhammad Hakimi Rizal Abdullah @ Eyan Anak Beritin was found dead in the police cell of the Central Police Station at the capital on June 2 at 10.05am.
Muhammad Hakimi was 33 years old.
The deceased was facing the charge of the murder of 43-year-old Ispawi Idris at a house in RPN Pandan 7, Kuala Belait, on May 20.
During the proceedings yesterday, the prosecution first submitted a report lodged by the police officer stating that he found the detainee unconscious.
“The investigation into the case is currently ongoing, a post mortem has been conducted on June 2 at 5pm and the matter will go for inquest once the investigation papers have been submitted to the Attorney General’s Chamber,” said the prosecuting officer.
Meanwhile, co-accused Muhammad Zulkifli Abdul Jalil, 27, was ordered to be further remanded yesterday after prosecution indicated that investigations into the murder case is nearly complete.
The prosecuting officer indicated that it would take two months for the investigations to be completed and they will be seeking for a preliminary inquiry to be scheduled by then.
So far, the bulk of the investigations has been completed as statement has been taken from the defendant and a “large number of witnesses”. The police has processed the crime scene as well as taken photo evidence.
Asked by the court, Zulkifli said he sought for forgiveness for what has happened and asked from the court for consideration and a lenient sentence.
Zulkifli also sought for another chance to repent and lead a path towards Allah SWT.
A further mention of the case has been scheduled to be heard on June 25.
The Brunei Times