Family whose house collapsed gets new home
A FAMILY of six whose house collapsed on Friday in Kg Mumong was given the keys to a government barrack housing located nearby on the same day.
Musa Zainal moved into the house with his wife and four children after being initially relocated to the Youth Centre in Belait on Friday evening. Within a couple of hours, the Belait District Office had readied a unit at Barrack 773 in Kg Mumong.
“We were supposed to stay a night at the Youth Centre in Belait on Friday, after the house collapsed earlier that morning at 5.30am,” said Musa.
“But the Belait District Office managed to speed up the process and we moved into the barrack housing in the same night.”
The recently renovated two bedroom unit has been equipped with electricity, water and gas, and will cost around 45 dollars a month to rent.
“Alhamdulillah, this unit is much more affordable, pleasant and stable than the previous house my family was staying in,” he said.
The 42-year-old added that he was previously paying $350 a month for the collapsed house.
They have been staying there since 2012.
Musa, who works as a rigger for Megalift, said the current arrangement is temporary while he awaits the final results of his housing application under the National Housing Scheme.
According to his father in-law, the Fire and Rescue Department estimated the damages to the collapsed house to be between $15,000 to $20,000.
The Brunei Times