RBAF recruit dies during drill mishap

National 1 minute, 48 seconds


AN ACCIDENT during a live firing training exercise at the Binturan Live Firing Range in Penanjong Garrison, Tutong, claimed the life of a 19-year-old recruit of the Royal Brunei Armed Forces (RBAF) yesterday.

The Ministry of Defence (MinDef) in a statement confirmed the accidental death of Mohammad Afiq Fadhli Kefli, the eldest among four siblings and a recruit of the 152nd RBAF intake, who joined on August 15 this year. Details were withheld pending investigation.

Mohammad Afiq Fadhli was declared dead around 9am after being rushed to the Pengiran Muda Mahkota Pengiran Muda Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah (PMMPMHAMB) Hospital in Tutong, according to the MinDef military spokesperson, Major Muhd Kasim Hj Awang Yusof.

The MinDef statement said the body of the deceased was then taken to his family in Kg Lambak Kiri and was buried at the cemetery in Kg Terunjing.

Besides families, friends and relatives, among those who were present to pay their last respect to the deceased was the RBAF Commander, Pehin Datu Pekerma Jaya Major General Dato Paduka Seri Mohd Tawih Abdullah and the Commandant of Training Institute RBAF, Liutenant Colonel Hasmee Hj Abd Wahab.

The RBAF Commander also expressed his sadness and sympathy to the parents, siblings and other family members and friends of the deceased.

“At this most difficult time, the MinDef and the RBAF extend their heartfelt condolences for the family and friends of the young Recruit Mohammad Afiq Fadhli and those affected by this tragedy,” the statement said.

It added that the RBAF assures a proper joint investigation by the Royal Brunei Police Force (RBPF) and the Royal Brunei Armed Forces Military Police to establish facts and circumstances surrounding the incident.

The RBAF also assured that it will avoid similar incident in the future, and ensure all necessary safety precaution are adhered to during the training.

Messages relating to the incident have also made it to the social media yesterday. However, some of the details of the incident are in circulation as mere speculation.

The Military spokesperson, Major Muhd Kasim had also cautioned the public to be careful and wary in using the social media over speculating and disseminating baseless information.

The Brunei Times