AirAsia A320 plane in July 7 incident now back in Malaysia

National 1 minute, 38 seconds


THE AirAsia A320 plane that skidded off the runway of the Brunei International Airport earlier this year has been brought back to Malaysia.

The Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) in a statement said that the aircraft involved in the incident on July 7 was brought back to Malaysia at 8.43pm on Wednesday, November 19.

DCA said the AirAsia flight number AXM9981 “has met the documentations requirement at the time of application to carry out the ferry flight from Bandar Seri Begawan to Kota Kinabalu”.

“We always put our safety and security issues as top priority and will not tolerate any infringement,” DCA added.

AirAsia Berhad also released a statement yesterday to confirm that all regulatory requirements have been complied with to bring the aircraft home.

“Proper documentation was obtained from the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) Brunei prior to the release of this aircraft and the flight had departed from Bandar Seri Begawan in accordance with an approved flight plan by Air Traffic Control (ATC) of Brunei International Airport (BIA),” it said.

The plane, bearing the aircraft registration 9M-AQA, has undergone a “thorough inspection process, and has been cleared to resume operations”.

On July 7, AirAsia flight AK278 from Kuala Lumpur to Bandar Seri Begawan veered off the runway onto the grass area of runway 03 upon landing at the Brunei International Airport. It was reported that all 109 passengers and crew were safe, with only one passenger sustaining minor injuries.

Due to the incident, the airport was closed for more than 30 hours causing a number of arriving and departing flights to be delayed, with most in-bound flights diverted to Kota Kinabalu in Sabah.

The airport resumed operations at 11pm on July 8, with the first flight departing for Singapore at 12.15am on July 9. The plane was only removed from the grass area on July 10.

“We would like to thank the public for their concern, cooperation and understanding for not making any speculations on the incident,” DCA said.

The Brunei Times