Injured workers stable,due for compensation

National 1 minute, 36 seconds

BELAIT

THE nine foreign labourers – five Indonesians and four Bangladeshis – involved in the Wednesday evening mishap at the Kuala Belait Science College construction site are still under treatment but in stable condition.

"I have not visited them yet but the management has reported that their conditions are good," said Ronald Guiang, site supervisor with LCY Development Sdn Bhd, the main contractor behind the construction project.

The 49-year-old was at the nearby site office when the incident happened, and described how all the workers acted quickly to pull out their colleagues from the rubble: "I was first alerted by one of our cleaners. Immediately, we started moving our trapped workers out and we used our excavator to move the piece of concrete that fell on them. By around 7.30pm, we had already transported the injured to the hospital."

Asked to comment on the welfare of the affected workers, Hazmin Hatta Hamzah, head of Workplace, Safety and Health under the Department of Labour, said that legal provisions would ensure that they were taken care of.

"They should be given Workman's Compensation as they're entitled to it under Labour (laws). The contractor, the employers, should report to the Labour Department for any incident or accidents within ten days under the Workman's Compensation Act," said Hazmin.

According to Guiang, LCY Development houses a total of 155 workers at the site, 124 of which are directly contracted while the rest belong to its subcontractors. Extended working hours were also normal for the operations, with daily overtime shifts ending at 9pm.

An unnamed consultant for LCY Development told _The Brunei Times _that initial findings showed the nine who were injured were working on the ground at a wing that was to be the multi-purpose hall when the ‘reinforced concrete gutter’ above them collapsed.

According to the consultant, the science college was contractually scheduled for completion in March 2014 but the contractor had targeted actual completion for December this year.

The Brunei Times