Man who feigned attack in Miri, admits lodging false report
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN
A MAN who was allegedly attacked in an armed gang robbery in Miri, pleaded guilty to lodging a false report to the police.
The defendant, Nabil Fiqri Razali, 24, yesterday told the presiding Magistrates’ Court judge that he lodged the police report because it was the result of his embarrassing behaviour, and that he wanted to claim insurance.
Nabil Fiqri went on to say that at the time he was not in the right state of mind when he lodged the report on January 11.
“I was confused and made a bad decision,” he said during court proceedings.
The court document stated that on January 11, the defendant lodged a police report at the Kuala Bealit Police Station, stating that while he was in the vicinity of the E-Mart Store in Miri, he was assaulted by three unknown men who the defendant had tried to stop from breaking into his car, a Kia. He further stated in his police report that he was slashed on his left hand with an instrument believed to be a knife. The defendant’s car window screens were also damaged along with the car’s body which had been smashed using a metal piece.
Nabil Fiqri told the police that after the incident, he immediately returned to Brunei via the Sungai Tujuh Immigration Control Post.
The police then conducted an investigation, including taking statements from a number of immigration officers on duty at the Sungai Tujuh Control Post on January 11, as well as other individuals.
The police also obtained a medical report from the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital. Furthermore, the police went to Miri, Sarawak, and sought assistance from the Malaysian police.
Upon further investigations, the police found inconsistencies in his statement.
The defendant eventually admitted to the police on January 27, that he had lodged a false police report on January 11. He went on to say that wounds he suffered on his left hand and the damage caused to his car were in fact a result of a fight between him and an unknown man in a village in Miri.
He further admitted that the fight was due to a problem involving a female friend, whom he went to Miri to visit.
During the proceedings yesterday, the presiding judge released the defendant on a $1,000 court bail and two local sureties, despite the prosecution’s application for the defendant to be further remanded at Jerudong Prison.
Nabil may face up to six months in jail and liable to a fine of $4,000 for pleading guilty to lodging the false report. The sentencing of the case has been scheduled to be heard on February 3.
The Brunei Times