Brunei relief for typhoon victims gains momentum
A ROYAL Brunei Navy ship set off for the second time to deliver relief aid to victims of Supertyphoon Haiyan in the Philippines yesterday morning.
The KDB Darussalam, carrying 40 tonnes of food and water – the largest consignment of aid so far – is expected to reach Tacloban on Monday.
Meanwhile, the Royal Brunei Air Force’s CN-235 transport aircraft also headed for the typhoon-ravaged nation yesterday to deliver 1.4 tonnes of relief aid.
“Alhamdulillah, we have received plenty of donations from concerned citizens,” said Dato Paduka Hj Abd Majid Mangarshah, Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Home Affairs, during the send-off ceremony at Muara Naval Base yesterday.
Dato Hj Abd Majid said 72 tonnes of relief aid for super typhoon Haiyan victims had so far been sent to the Philippines, with more likely to follow.
Dato Hj Abd Majid also said the National Disaster Management Centre (NDMC) was looking at ways to facilitate ongoing humanitarian operations.
“We will continue with our humanitarian assistance efforts depending on what kind of help is needed in the Philippines,” he said.
The Royal Brunei Armed Forces (RBAF) Commander Major General Dato Paduka Seri Hj Aminuddin Ihsan Pehin Orang Kaya Saiful Mulok Dato Seri Paduka Hj Abidin said the KDB Darussalam was filled to capacity with essential supplies.
“We have delivered basic necessities like food, water and toiletries. Hopefully, we will see subsequent deployments as and when required,” he said, adding that RBAF personnel were working with their military counterparts in the Philippines to distribute the relief aid.
A team from the NDMC is also involved with operations on the ground through the ASEAN Humanitarian Assistance Centre.
Brunei began sending relief aid to supertyphoon Haiyan victims last Friday when the KDB Darussalam delivered 30 tonnes of basic necessities and the CN-235 transport plane 1.1 tonnes of medical supplies to the Philippines. Additional batches of relief aid were delivered over the past week.
A separate send-off ceremony took place at Rimba Air Force Base yesterday for the departure of the CN-235.
Among those present at both ceremonies were Hj Mohd Rozan Dato Paduka Hj Mohd Yunos, Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports, and Colonel (Rtd) Pg Dato Paduka Hj Rosli Pg Hj Chuchu, NDMC Director.
The Brunei Times